photography

35mm film. 


photography has started consuming my world.  well, "started" wouldn't be the right word here.  i am quite obsessed with it, actually.  

in 2013, my husband bought me a fancy camera.  i had no idea that would spark a passion in me that has been fueled for so long!  i typically get really into something for a while, and then it fizzles out.  well, photography has not done that to me yet.  there is so much to learn…

when i was in high school, i took photography.  way back then, it was all film.  so, my father handed me his pentax k1000 and a few extra lenses and off i went. then, some jerk at my school stole the camera.  it was literally just a few minutes after i walked out of class that i realized it was left hanging on the chair.  i turned around, went back to the class…and that baby was gone!  i am still upset…it's been 22 years.  i'll find a working k1000 one day…in an antique store.  i know i can get one off ebay or somewhere online, but i am enjoying the quest.

so, i just moved on.  the camera was gone forever.  i have had many cameras since then, but they were mostly just for snapshots of the kids (and cats, of course).  then, in 2011, i began blogging my kids lunches over at www.feelingalittlelunchy.com, using my amazing iphone 4. i was being creative with all those instagram filters and messing around with the images.  that's where my husband's keen perception and supreme talent for giving gifts comes in.  he bought me a dslr.  he even researched to find the very best one we could afford.  the nikon d5200 was the very best you could get at the time, just below professional.  it's the same digital camera i use today.  after a photographer friend of mine asked me to help him shoot a wedding, i was hooked!  he taught me how to shoot in manual mode, gave me some insight into lightroom and photoshop and i have never looked back!  

about a year ago, a friend of mine gave me her old 35mm canon ae-1 program, and thus began my journey back into film.  i'll shoot with any camera i can get my hands on.  so far, i am using a 1947 kodak brownie, a crappy point and shoot from the 90's i found for $3, a 1950's era kodak duaflex iv, a 1990's era nikon f-501.  i am developing the film at home and then converting the images to digital with my trusty d5200 and a light table.  so far, it's working for me.  i'll probably do a tutorial on that process one day for you.

so, here i am writing about this journey.  just erin…with all her images.  enjoy!


yaschica-a (non working) shot with canon ae-1





Comments

Popular Posts